the BEST vegan pancake recipe
Valentine’s Day is fast-approaching, but I’ve been busy getting excited about a far superior day of celebration…Shrove Tuesday. That’s right, as good as the ooey-gooey romantic stuff is (I’ll admit I cry at most Rom-Coms and love a box of Booja Booja truffles now and then) I’d argue that Pancake Day is the true highlight of February – the real hero of the month. And so, I’ve been spending most weekends practicing and refining these pancakes. I’ve settled on a batter that’s both sweet and thick enough to create fluffy, pillowy and golden American-style pancakes – ones that I’ve come to crave on a weekly basis. Not wanting to toot my own horn, but this could be the best vegan pancake recipe I’ve come across so far. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Whip up some batter, get it in the frying pan and then drown those beauties in glorious golden syrup. Job done.
- 2 tsp Orgran No Egg* + 2 tbsp water
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups dairy-free milk (we used soya milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Start by whisking the Orgran No Egg and water together. Once foamy, add the flour and milk and whisk until a smooth batter has formed. Finally, add the sugar and whisk again to combine.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat (we have an electric hob and put it on setting 6 out of 9). Pour roughly 1/2 cup of batter into the middle of the pan and allow it to slowly spread out a little. If the batter spreads too much, you should add a little more flour to thicken it.
- Once bubbles start to appear and burst on the surface of your pancake, it is ready to flip. This usually only takes about a minute. Gently ease a spatula underneath the pancake and flip it onto the other side. You'll notice that the pancake will rise fairly rapidly. Cook for just 30 seconds before taking out the pan and serving. Repeat the process until all the pancakes are done; if you want to serve them all at the same time, you can pop them on a greaseproof-lined baking tray in the oven (at a low temperature) until they are all ready.
- Now for the fun part - go crazy with toppings of your choice! We'd recommend a mixture of fruit, nuts and a whole lotta syrup. If you're feeling really decadent, why not drizzle a little melted chocolate on, too?
If you’ve made these, we’d love to hear what you thought! Are they worthy of being called the best vegan pancake recipe? Are they perhaps a contender to make your loved one for Valentine’s Day?