Chewy Gluten-Free Choc Chip Cookies
Who doesn’t love a freshly baked cookie? They are the perfect sweet treat and they’re super easy and fun to make! But what if you’re making them without eggs, dairy or gluten? Well, we’ve spent a long time recipe-testing to try and achieve the perfect gooey/chewiness when making cookies both gluten-free and vegan. We tried lots of different recipes claiming to have ‘the secret’ ingredient that creates the iconic crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside texture. But for some reason, we never quite got what we were after.
Time and time again, we just got cakies. Not quite a cookie, not quite a cake. And definitely not what we were aiming for. Taking inspiration from the ingredients we used in our signature gluten-free cake recipe, we made tweaks and changes until we got the right balance. We really hope you love this recipe as much as we do – share it with your friends, experiment with different flavour combos and enjoy!
½ cup caster sugar
¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup margarine
¼ cup chickpea water
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Optional 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- We also tried this recipe with cranberries, apricots and different nuts. Have a go with the flavours you like the most!
The perfect gluten-free, vegan choc chip cookies do require a little prep, but this is still a super simple recipe. Give it a whirl and if you have any questions or comments, let us know down below!
- In a large bowl, mix together the caster sugar, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla essence. Once combined, add the margarine and cream together until you have a smooth buttery/sugary mixture.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the drained water from a can of chickpeas (no need to whip it up beforehand). Don’t be alarmed, the mixture may not look or even smell the best right now but the chickpea brine helps prevent the cookies from being crumbly while ensuring they are nice and moist.
- Sift in the gluten-free self-raising flour and 1/2 cup ground almonds. Then gently mix the ingredients together with a spatula. Be careful not to overmix.
- Once the flour has been fully incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips and pecans (optional) evenly.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop or heaped dessert spoon onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Make sure you leave space between each cookie as they will spread while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies just begin to brown at the edges.
- The cookies will be incredibly delicate to the touch when they come out of the oven. Allow them to cool completely before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- At the halfway point (5-6 mins in), open the oven and flatten each cookie with a spatula (the cookies will spread naturally on their own, but this is a great option if you want a slightly bigger, flatter cookie).